Sunday, June 5, 2011

New Blog Launch!

Why am I writing this blog? I guess it originally started out as a way to record my daily stats on the job. These stats being; how much work I did, what the weather was like, what time I called in, what time I delivered my last run, etc. I figured I could record the data, look for any trends, and estimate my paycheck. It was supposed to be very scientific and analytical. I didn't want to include much in the way of emotional or experiential content. Mostly, because I figured no one would read it. Also, it seemed too much like ego stroking. Then, as I developed the concept of the blog, I got the idea to include in the stats how I felt physically, perhaps as a way of estimating my "peak". Unavoidably, one's emotional state affects his physical state, so I decided to include that, too. Eventually, I had a full-on blog, replete with gratuitous, unimportant self-importance.
Beyond the database function of the site, the greater aim of the blog is to serve as online journal of my experience. For me, being a bike messenger is more than just a job. It is a passion and trade that I take very seriously. It is, for lack of a better word, a "game", that I love to play. It is a game of problem solving and ego-centric locality. It is about having a good sense of direction, and knowing where you are in the city. This is not to say that it isn't a very physical game. On the contrary, being a courier is one of the most athletic, high-risk professions one can have. Being able to stay in the saddle all day, suffer in the elements, and even take a hit from time to time, are all necessary physical demands assumed by the messenger. I quote the great John "Yac" Yacobellis, "Ya gotta be tough to be a bike messenger". Damn right.

No comments:

Post a Comment