Tuesday, July 12, 2011


Because of a disruption in our internet service last night, I was unable to post. So, to make up for it, tonight we have DOUBLE STATS!

Yesterday's Stats:

Weather: Searing
Temperature: 95

1st Run Taken: 9:10am
Last Run Dropped: 6:31pm
Total Runs Competed: 27

Sangfroid (on a scale of 1-10): 9

First off, I would like to apologize to everyone for failing to post last night. Our internet service was temporarily down, so I was unable to update you. I know how all five of you eagerly await every night for the latest edition of ConEff to post, so again, I am sorry. So, to catch you up on what you missed I have put together a mini-photo-essay capturing the spirit and drama of my work day. However, if you are the "wordy type", and not easily satisfied with mini-photo-essays, or double hyphenated words, it will have to suffice, as the searing heat has erased all memory of that day. I hope you enjoy.

(9.08am) A happy accident I noticed on 57th st.

(11:30am)
The Elysee Hotel. Something keeps bringing me back here through strange coincidence. His ghost?

(12:27pm)
I got to go to the 29th floor. Very rarely does a messenger get to go this high. Usually buildings this big have mail rooms.

(1:11pm)
Washington Square Park was having a moment.

(1:45pm)
I delivered to the Guggenheim Museum for the first time.

Some fortunate U.S. Employees are getting more respect. We, on the other hand are enduring nuclear scrotocaust.

(4:45pm)
The whorish view from Core Search. I hate this place. Although, they do have free ice.

As best as I can remember, that was pretty much my whole day.


Today's Stats

Weather: Global Warming
Temperature: Human Body

1st Run Taken: 9:26am
Last Run Dropped: 7:00pm
Total Runs Completed: 25

Sangfroid: 8

Holy Cow! Today was a scorcher. It got up to the mid 90's. It was so silly. I got a little delirious at times. I did a moderate amount of work. A few truck runs and quick dashes up East. I did the night work as well. It was painfully slow. Just to put things into perspective as far as how slow it has been, and how "able" I am, before 4:30pm I did 12 Runs. From 6:05pm-7:00pm I did 13 runs. Give me a break. Just so you know, 13 run in an hour, ain't bad. Anyways, one day I will be around for the Fall and Winter when there is plenty of work to go around. Until then, I am a soppy, loaded gun.
Speaking of perspiration, I felt so bad for those people in the elevator. Today I blazed into this office building, sweaty as hell and smelling like a wet dog. I shuffled across the lobby and crammed myself into the elevator as its door dinged shut. There were easily 12 people in the elevator, every floor on the directory was lit up. I was radiating heat and brake dust. It was so funny, all of them were shifting around trying to exit the elevator and not touch me. I mean, I was dripping wet, like an NBA starter, breathing hard, too. Ah well, whatcha gonna do? Sometimes you just have to be a bad ass.

Speaking of badasses, I watched a group of men erecting scaffolding around a building today on 49th. I watched them work for 10 minutes or so. It was a team of three working together. Each man tending to his task in the prescribed order necessary for upward gain. One man climbing on the outside, tightening bolts down, the other installing more to be tightened, the third laying down planks to secured railing. All the while, each of them was stories above the pavement without a harness. They all seemed comfortable hanging out on the edge and climbing about freely as they shuffled tools and sections of aluminum flooring up the rising skeleton of steel tube. It was total New York. It reminded me of the men that built the Empire State Building, working in teams of four, tossing red hot rivets up to 50 feet, 50 stories above the deck. (Did you know that the ESB was built in 13 months. Think about that. It boggles the mind.)
Anyways, what I mean by "it was total New York" was not referring to the the job they were doing. Building scaffolding, or skyscrapers for that matter, is a job associated with any metropolis or urban environment. It wasn't the job that was "total New York", but rather how how they were doing the job. That was total New York. Total style. These guys were working hard, in the sun, climbing around on an ever rising jungle gym that they were building, executing their simple, yet highly choreographed routine, with fluid motion and intuitive proficiency that could only be the result of countless repetitions committed to muscle memory. Surely they were aware of the small group of onlookers, myself included, who were taking note of these accidental acrobats, who exuted a swagger and confidence of men who know they are the best. And their assurance that they are the best stemming from the fact that they practice their craft in New York, so they must be the best, if only by default, or inheritance. That feeling of being the best, that is what New York is all about. There's a place for everyone here.


No comments:

Post a Comment